Erasmus+ Project 2019-1-LV01-KA104 – 060243
12.08. 2019.- 16.08. 2019.
Project Title Upgrade your trainer skills – language learning through innovative methods by implementing ICT.
The project directly improved the quality of the language school by improving the professional skills of the teachers. The cooperation worked in the spirit of the European idea and served to create an intercultural environment for the exchange of ideas and the extension of the competencies of language teachers. As schools increasingly use games and ICT technology, many adults often lack the knowledge of such methods because they lack the necessary skills and are more likely to implement frontal education.
This project aimed to meet the needs of our school resulting from the European Development Plan in the following areas:
- changing traditional teaching methods in language teaching
- using digital tools and games in language teaching and increasing the number of international projects
- increasing education and through didactic skills of the teachers to increase the profile of the students
- strengthening the basic competences of learners, increasing didactic results and ultimately improving the quality of work of the language school
- Adaptation and improvement of subject-specific language teaching in the sense of integrative, successful coexistence and the international competitiveness of the Language Learning Center.
- Professionalization of teaching staff in the methodical / didactic area.
- Motivation of project participants to use the tools to develop new project ideas.
- Reduce the drop-out rate of adults through internal differentiation into language teaching.
- The skills of our educators are being innovated using ICT technologies and games to help learners with inclusion.
- Improving the level and quality of the language teaching center.
- Involvement of trainers in European mobility.
- Implementation of solutions / information acquired as part of the international mobility project
- Awareness of the use of ICT technologies in teaching and learning
- Knowledge of the methods and tools used in Austria (holding the training)
- Creating an intercultural environment for discussion and exchange of ideas
- Development of personal and professional skills in the use of new teaching methods
- Develop the ability to create an environment conducive to the learning environment
- Enrichment of the language skills of trainers
- Increase the ability to use digital games, apps, etc. in foreign language teaching
8 language teachers from our school were involved in this project in order to be open for dealing with digital tools and games in foreign language teaching in the future and to return to the language school with a new approach and sufficient English language skills
The project emphasized the inclusion of language teachers in mobility and the awareness of the use of ICT in language teaching. In cooperation with an Austrian partner, our employees worked practically on integrating existing online materials to use them in the language acquisition process in lifelong learning.
Five-day training course in Linz / Austria, August 2019:
Day 1: of the workshop (knowledge test, teaching and learning methods, learning support, individual development plans, weekly plans)
Day 2: Motivational methods in foreign language learning (generating motivation and motivational components, individual learning strategies, design of the learning environment, group learning in small working groups as a social component and the like)
Day 3: Media literacy in the use of ICT technologies (digital tools such as tablets or smartphones and e-learning platforms in the network, exercises with digital tools, conception of lesson plans)
Day 4: Use of language learning games (playing as an icebreaker and promoting communication at various levels and skills such as listening, speaking, reading and writing, interactive exercises, simulation and role-playing games).
Day 5: The Adult Education System in Austria – Development of Adult Education in Language and Foreign Language Support and Digitization: Best Practice Examples for Inclusive Education in Austrian Adult Education.
Projekta Numurs (PROJECT NO. 2017-1-LV01-KA204-035430)
ATRAKTĪVĀKAS SVEŠVALODU APGUVES METODES DARBA UN PATVĒRUMA MEKLĒTAJIEM, IZSLĒDZOT ANGĻU VALODU KĀ STARPNIEKVALODU
(METHODS OF MORE ATTRACTIVE FOREIGN LANGUAGE EDUCATION, EXCLUDING ENGLISH AS A MEDIUM OF INSTRUCTION FOR APPLICIANTS FOR JOB AND ASYLUM)
Project participants are 6 countries: Austria, Estonia, Croatia, Finland, Spain and Latvia as a coordinator.
The project’s intention was related to 2 important things:
lifelong learning for teachers and experience exchange about teaching materials and problems in teaching L2 for applicants for job and asylum in the target countries;
- output in form of student book-dictionary for A1(beginners) level with similar visuals and units, to facilitate the target language acquisition in all 6 countries.
Currently we have finalised the first stage. Our teachers had had two training sessions – one in Rijeka, Croatia and one in Linz, Austria where we studied, discussed and created materials for e-learning. Apart from knew knowledge, we gained a lot of experience in psychological barrier management skills related to
*different environment and cultures;
*changing roles from teachers to students;
* trying to fit in with the multicultural team where one’s ambitions are less important than a friendly and positive atmosphere, that is crucial by training.
In Rijeka we were hosted by adult education institution “Dante”. In great atmosphere from 23rd-25th July by up to the 30C heat outside, twenty teachers from 8 countries listened, participated and discussed about innovative methods in language learning. In-between we managed to find time for sightseeing, museums and a swim in the Adriatic Sea.
In Linz, training was organised by our partners IiB (Institut fuer Interdisziplinaere Bildung). It is private institution which offers a wide range of trainings and projects in different areas: languages, IT, economic and social sciences. The training took place from 25th-27th October in Linz SolarCity, which is one of two EU-funded projects to facilitate use of natural resources and create nature- friendly urban environment.
There were 11 teachers in Linz because e-learning is more successful in smaller teams with an individual approach. Our Austrian colleagues introduced platforms learning.Apps.org and quizlet. We also created individual teaching materials with learning.Apps.org and quizlet. Participants did a lot of scenic learning and discussed about advantages and disadvantages of various vocabulary learning-teaching techniques.
An intensive work has recently started on the creation of intellectual material. The piloting of the material will take place in April, when the projet partners are hosted by Spanish colleagues in Valencia. The multiplier event is foreseen on the 29th August 2019 in Valmiera
Learning materials can be found in MAFLE homepage http://www.mafle.eu/
CHIC Project number 2018-1-HR01-KA204-047462
The project “Culture and Heritage in Communication – Using Cultural Heritage in Development of Communicative Competence and Interculturality in Foreign Language Learning” (CHIC- In Action!) focuses on foreign language teaching in adult education and aims to define how cultural heritage of the participating countries can be used as a language teaching tool.
First meeting of the project took place in Athens, Greece on November 29 and 30, 2018, hosted by ERFC. Next transnational meeting will take place in May 2019 in Rome, Italy.
Partners involved in this project are Ustanova za obrazovanje odraslih Dante (Croatia),International Language School- ILS (Italy), European Regional Framework for Co-Operation- ERFC (Greece), Escola Profissional de Salvaterra de Magos (Portugal) and Escuela Oficial de Idiomas Rio Vero (Spain).